The spinal cord is the first part of the body to form in the womb, and the nervous system is the “chief controller” of the body. If its communication channels become damaged, distorted, or fuzzy, the body experiences all sorts of symptoms that may not be obvious they are from the nervous system. While it is important for adults to have chiropractic care, it is equally important for children.
Promotes Healthy Brain and Nerve Development A baby’s nervous system controls everything from breathing, digestion, thinking, sense of touch, and playing. Any damage or disruption can seriously impair his/her ability to function in the best way. Chiropractic helps stimulate a child’s brain and nerve activity which creates a balance and a feeling of well-being.
- Assists with Asthma, Allergies, and other Breathing Difficulties When neck muscles become tight, the normal flow of the lymphatic system is interrupted. Since this causes the immune system to become overloaded, chiropractic adjustments helps relax neck muscles allowing normal lymphatic drainage. These adjustments help improve the respiratory function which in turn improves symptoms of asthma, allergies, bronchitis, and other breathing problems.
- Encourages Good Spinal Posture Since chiropractic focuses on manipulation of the spine, it helps improve a child’s spinal posture. Since the spine is the structure from which the body is built, it is important to begin good postural habits early in life. In addition, birth is very traumatic, and this spinal trauma can lead to many infant issues that can be relieved with simple spinal adjustment by trained Raleigh chiropractors.
- Helps with Behavioral Problems Although chiropractors do not exactly treat behavioral problems in young children, they help eliminate the major stressors of the nervous system. This includes removing spinal subluxations that irritate the nervous system.
- Helps with Sleeping Disorders and Bed-wetting Problems Tension in the neck and back, headaches, joint pain, and other discomforts can prevent proper sleeping patterns. Getting the spine to move properly and in alignment will help relax your child’s body to allow better sleep. Chiropractic adjustments also help correct vertebral misalignment (subluxations) which can disturb the proper function of the phrenic reflex and cause bed wetting. Chiropractors correct vertebral subluxations and allow normal function of the phrenic reflex.
- Assists with Digestive System The nervous system controls digestive functions in different regions including lumbar regions, sympathetic nerves that come out of the thoracic, and the sacral parasympathetic nerve fibers. Spinal misalignment in one of these regions may lead to obstructed digestive function. Chiropractic adjustments realign these obstructed regions and help restore nerve supply to the deficient organs.
- Helps with Scoliosis Scoliosis is a condition that involves an abnormal side-to-side curvature of the spine. If not dealt with early in childhood, it is likely to become worse with age. Specific chiropractic adjustments coupled with various muscular rehabilitation techniques can help prevent the progression of scoliosis while the child is still young.
- Boosts the Child’s Immune System Chiropractic’s purpose is to reduce the interference to a child or baby’s nervous system, thus unleashing the full healing power of the body. This helps reduce the occurrence of common colds, ear-aches, and other general illnesses.
- It helps with Colic/Irritable Baby Syndrome Colic or Irritable Baby Syndrome is defined as comfortless crying in a young baby with periodic fussiness that can last for hours. Many babies show improvement with chiropractic care as it involves spinal manipulation to help restore the child’s nervous system, digestive tract, and other organs for normal operation.
- Promotes Overall Health and Well-being Chiropractic processes make a child healthier, more active and generally happy during growth. Just as with behavioral problems, the major stressors of the nervous system are eliminated, thus improving your child’s concentration in school.